In designing our staff benefits, we recognise that people need different things at different times in their working and home lives. That’s why you’ll find a wide variety of benefits on offer to colleagues in Leicester’s hospitals.
We offer a unique range of ‘salary maxing’ schemes which can help make your salary go further, by allowing you to exchange part of your salary for a particular benefit – sometimes known as salary exchange or salary sacrifice.
Your ‘exchanged’ salary maximises the savings you can make by reducing your tax, national insurance and pension contributions. The salary maxing schemes currently on offer are listed below. Please click on the links to find out more:
- UHL’s childcare voucher scheme – enabling working parents to make massive savings on their childcare costs.
- Park and save – reducing the cost of on-site car parking permits.
- Salary maxing for accommodation – for Trust owned and managed living accommodation. Our normal rental prices are extremely competitive. By using salary maxing for accommodation, the savings are incredible. See below for more on the accommodation available.
- Salary maxing car scheme – an all-inclusive, smart motoring package which enables you to drive a brand new, fully maintained and insured car for three years, all for a fixed monthly amount. No deposit is needed for three years of worry free motoring. You just add fuel and oil!
- Salary maxing take IT home – offering access to some really exciting IT equipment such as Apple iPads and Macs, plus laptops and desktops.
- Salary maxing cycles – increase your fitness and health while making fantastic savings on the use of a brand new bicycle and safety accessories.
Leicester’s hospitals offer extensive staff discounts and benefits. Through membership of Health Service Discounts, you will be introduced to a range of money saving offers. Click here to find out more.
The NHS pension scheme provides you with the most effective way to save for your retirement. Membership of the NHS pension scheme allows you to receive tax relief on your contributions and get a tax free lump sum within certain limits when you retire.
For any staff not eligible to join the NHS pension scheme, we offer an alternative pension scheme operated by the National Employment Savings Trust (‘NEST’), which the Trust also contributes to.
Find out more about the NHS pension scheme here.
Hospital supported accommodation
We offer affordable residential accommodation to members of staff within a short walking distance from our main hospitals:
- At our Glenfield and LGH sites, our Trust-owned accommodation is available through our salary maxing scheme.
- At the LRI site, accommodation is available through our partner Spectrum Housing. Salary maxing is not available for accommodation booked through this route.
Our accommodation ranges from individual rooms with shared facilities to family houses. We offer flexibility of tenure including short stay (one to 14 nights) and assured short-hold tenancies for residents who wish to use the accommodation for longer periods of time.
For more information, please contact the accommodation team on 0116 258 4249 or by email.
There are staff car parks at each of the three main hospital sites and you can apply for a parking permit based on the requirements of your role.
Alternatively, staff showing their NHS ID badge can get free travel on the Hospital Hopper bus, which links the LRI, LGH and Glenfield Hospital with Beaumont Leys centre, Hamilton centre, the railway station and Leicester’s park and ride hub at Jubilee Square.
Restaurants, cafes, and coffee bars at each of our hospital sites sell a wide variety of hot and cold meals and snacks. There are also vending machines available 24 hours a day.
Visit our page on living and working here for more on the other great benefits of joining our team.