At UHL we provide paediatric services to the just over one million residents of Leicestershire and Rutland. We also offer tertiary (specialist) services for patients from further afield.
Our innovative multi-disciplinary team delivers family-centred care for children needing surgical, medical and emergency treatment including many paediatric services including intensive care, high dependency care, specialist surgery and respiratory specialties.
In addition, we provide:
- A national ECMO service, serving the largest in number of patients internationally and the only mobile ECMO service in the country
- The regional congenital heart service, which has one of the best results in recent years in the country
- Transport for critically ill children within the region, in collaboration with Nottingham University Hospitals.
Our neonatal team also works in collaboration with Nottingham and Coventry to provide one of the largest neonatal transport services in the country.
In 2015/16, the children cared for by UHL included:
- 4, 288 day cases
- 2, 060 elective inpatients
- 5, 758 emergency admissions
- 19, 706 new outpatients
- 45, 800 follow up outpatients
The Children’s Services team includes:
- 328 registered nursing staff
- 156 medical staff
- 16 estates and ancillary e.g. ward housekeepers and caretakers
- 99 administrative and clerical staff
- 127 additional clinical services staff e.g. health care assistants and play specialists.
Treatment is also provided by staff delivering care to children in other areas of the hospital.