We provide a wide range of specialist services and deliver around 10,500 babies each year, at hospital and at home. Our specialist maternity units at the Leicester Royal Infirmary (LRI) and the Leicester General Hospital (LGH) offer:
- Antenatal clinics including consultant/specialist and midwife and nurse-led clinics
- Specialist Midwives for Safeguarding, teenage pregnancy, perinatal mental health, Alcohol and Substance misuse, women with complicated social needs, Haematology and blood borne infections.
- Maternity assessment units where women with antenatal and postnatal concerns can be assessed and signposted to the appropriate department.
- Midwife-led (alongside) Birth Centres staffed by midwives and maternity care assistants, offering care in labour for uncomplicated labours and water births.
- Aromatherapy Service.
- Two delivery suites staffed by midwives, doctors, anaesthetists and maternity care assistants.
- Maternity Theatres. We provide enhanced recovery for Elective surgery to enable early discharge home.
- Enhanced maternity care areas at both sites.
- 3 antenatal/postnatal wards.
- Award winning Research and Development team.
Full preceptorship is offered, supported by a named preceptor midwife.
Our team of clinical educators support mandatory training.
There is a Band 6 Co-ordinator Development package, the hospital roles are fully rotational through delivery suite, the wards, maternity assessment units and midwifery-led units working the full pattern of days, nights, weekends and bank holidays.
We also have a midwife-led unit at St Mary’s Hospital in Melton Mowbray for women with uncomplicated pregnancies.
We have a Community Midwifery service that provides care geographically in teams and sub-groups to improve continuity of care for women. The teams provide antenatal care, parent education and postnatal care.
We have a Homebirth team, that provide antenatal, Intrapartum and postnatal care to women.
You will have the opportunity to gain excellent experience in all aspects of midwifery care at the LRI and the LGH and the Community. For more information go to: Leicester Maternity Services.